- 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca (do not use instant tapioca)
- 3 cups whole milk (or skim milk with cream added)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine tapioca, milk, and salt in a 1 1/2 quart pan on medium-high heat. Stir while bringing to a bare simmer. Lower the heat and cook, uncovered, at the lowest possible heat, adding sugar gradually until the tapioca pearls have plumped up and thickened. Depending on the type or brand of tapioca you are using (and if you've pre-soaked the tapioca as some brands call for), this could take anywhere from 5 minutes to 45 minutes of cooking at a very low temperature. Stir occasionally so the tapioca doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
2. Temper the eggs with a little hot tapioca.
3. Slowly add the eggs to the tapioca in the pan. Increase the heat to medium and stir for several minutes until you get a thick pudding consistency. Do not let the mixture boil or the tapioca egg custard will curdle. Cool 15 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Serve either warm or chilled.
Of course, if you don't have time, you will like our tapioca-based gummies - it's easy to use and to take with you everywhere!